Music, even in its simplest form, involves multiple elements working together, each tone just as crucial as the others. Individually, it is a note. Collectively it is power. The common running thread through the music community, regardless of your role in it, is our passion and respect for the power of music. It drives us in the creative process, galvanizes us to fight for our legal rights and protections, and inspires us to pass on our knowledge to the next generation. It transcends genres, geography, and professions. As the collective voice of The Recording Academy, that power increases exponentially.
This is your opportunity to add your voice to ours. Take a minute to explore GRAMMYPro.com and how you can directly benefit from being a member.
The Academy offers three levels of membership: Voting, Associate and Student. Each membership level has its own level of criteria. As a member of The Academy you can take advantage of opportunities both in person and online that are designed to help you grow professionally.
Benefits of Academy Membership
- Enjoy 24/7 access to GRAMMYPro.com, your digital hub for Academy membership which features a growing digital library of career resources providing insights and inspiration on the business and craft of music
- A private online community of music professionals from around the country (and the world) to grow your personal network and share experiences
- An Opportunities board to post and find: jobs, collaborators, performance gigs, and more
- Attend local Chapter professional development and networking events to learn from industry experts, socialize, share your work and solicit feedback from your peers
- Submit projects for GRAMMY Awards consideration
- Vote in the GRAMMY Awards process [Voting Members only]
- Speak out collectively to protect the rights of music makers and advance their interests on important policy matters
- Participate in GRAMMY Foundation music education and MusiCares human services programs and initiatives such as GRAMMY Camp and GRAMMY In The Schools
- Enjoy exclusive discounts for gear, recording industry specific services, conferences, and festivals
Membership Types and Qualifications
This classification is for creative and technical professionals who qualify in at least one of the categories of eligibility. All recordings must be commercially available in the U.S. either through traditional distribution channels or recognized online retailers/streaming services.
Recordings Released Online Only:
- Must have 12 qualifying digital tracks or equivalent duration of content;*
- One qualifying track must have been released within five years of receipt of application;
- Releases must be currently available for purchase through recognized online music retailers or recognized online music streaming services, defined as paid, full catalogue, audio-only, on-demand streaming and/or limited download subscription services, at the time of submission to The Academy; and
- Recordings must be accompanied by verifiable documentation, e.g. liner notes, Allmusic.com.
Recordings Released Through Physical Distribution:
- Recordings commercially released in the U.S. through physical distribution outlets.
- Must have six physical tracks or equivalent duration of content.*
- One qualifying track must have been released within five years of receipt of application.
- Qualifying tracks must be currently available for sale through physical music retailers.
- Recordings must be accompanied by verifiable documentation, e.g. liner notes, allmusic.com.
- If you were nominated for a GRAMMY® Award within the previous five years.
Eligibility may be subject to career substantiation through the following documentation. The Academy recommends that applicants submit as much documentation as possible.
- Recordings available for streaming/download through recognized music aggregators
- Documented sales/chart information
- Established, active website/social media/online presence including:
- Current or historical touring dates/performances
- Fan base interaction
- Current band/artist information
- Music videos
- Music/media player with current releases available
- Active marketing and promotion efforts
- Print material
- Press releases/EPK
- Reviews of performances by print or online magazines
- Press interviews
* Excluding intros, outros and interludes
This classification is for:A. Music industry professionals whose majority of business activity is directly related to the recording, live performance, or music video industries.
B. Creative and/or technical professionals in the music industry who do not have the required credits or documentation for Voting membership.
All Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a professional music industry career.
Applicants are required to substantiate their career through an online/web presence, marketing materials or other documentation such as:
- Company website
- Publicly available information
- Band/artist website
- Tour dates
- Other documentation that substantiates his/her career in the industry
The Academy recommends that applicants submit as much documentation as possible.
*Please note - additional documentation may be requested if any of the above does not clearly demonstrate that applicants spend the majority of their business activity in the recording, live performance or music video industries.
A one year membership begins at $100. The Recording Academy approves membership at its sole discretion based on the assessment of the material submitted.
Students, primarily between ages 17 to 25, who are currently enrolled full-time in a college, university or attends a trade school with a desire to work in the recording industry upon graduation.
To join GRAMMY U you must meet ONE of the following membership qualifications:
- Attending a music school or technical training institution
- Major or minor in music, entertainment or music business
- Planning to work in the music/recording industry upon graduation utilizing your chosen field of study. Current course work must be applicable to the music/recording industry. Members who use this option must call the Recording Academy Membership at 310.392.3777 to communicate how they are committed to a career in music, such as an internship, after school job, examples of articles/papers written etc.