1. Children. The Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect or distribute personal information from or about children under the age of 13.
2. Information Collected by Us
2.1 Information You Directly and Voluntarily Provide to Us. If you are a visitor to the Site, we may collect information that you provide to us when you communicate with any of our departments such as customer service, sales or technical services or if you participate in a survey we conduct through the Site. Further, from time to time, we may offer you the opportunity to participate in contests, giveaways and other promotions. You will not be required to participate in any promotion. If you register to become a member of the Site, you will be required to provide certain information as part of the registration process. This information will include your first and last name, phone number, email address, date of birth, street address and profession. We will also require that you provide information so that we can verify your connection with the music industry, or, if you are registering for a student membership, to confirm that you are currently enrolled at an educational institution. We may also ask for the name of your company and your position, as well as about your ethnicity and gender for our own internal tracking purposes, however, you will not be required to provide this additional information as part of the registration process.
2.2 Information That We Automatically Collect Through the Site. In addition to information that you directly and voluntarily provide to us, we may automatically collect information about you when you use the Site. We may link information we gather automatically from you with information that we directly collect from you through the Site. We automatically collect information from you in the following ways:
(a) Web Browsers. We automatically gather information about you that your web browser, depending on your settings, may make available to us. This information includes your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, operating system and browser type, and the locations of the web pages you view right before arriving at, while navigating and immediately after leaving the Site.
- Type of user agent (web browser) used, software manufacture and version number.
- Type of operating system
- Screen colors (color processing ability of the users screen)
- Flash version
- Screen resolution
- Network location and IP address
- Country, city, state, region, county, or any other geographic data
- Bandwidth (internet connection speed)
- Time of visit
- Pages visited
- Time spent on each page of the website
- Referring site statistics
- The website (URI) the user came through in order to arrive at the Site (example: clicking on a hyperlink from Yahoo.com that took the user to this website)
- Search engine query used (example: typing in a phrase into a search engine like Google, and clicking on a link from that search engine)
The data collected by Google Analytics is primarily used to optimize the Site for our visitors, however we also use this data for marketing purposes. An example of how we use this data for marketing purposes is that we tell potential advertisers how many users visit the Site, where visitors come from, and how they arrive at the Site.
The data we automatically collect using Google Analytics is shared with Google. For more information on Google’s Privacy Policies, visit: http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html
(d) Web Beacons. A “Web Beacon” is an object that is embedded in a web page. It is usually invisible to you but allows us to check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email communication. We may place Web Beacons on pages of the Site and in emails we send to you. You may not decline Web Beacons.
(e) Mobile Devices. If you access the Site through a mobile device, we may also be able to identify the location of your mobile device. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
4. Information You Share on the Site. If you are a registered member of the Site, the information you post to the Site as part of your user profile may be viewed by your contacts or other registered members of the Site, depending on the account settings you have selected. You can change your account settings in order to limit who may view your user profile by selecting the “Edit profile” link on your member profile page and then selecting the “Privacy & Notifications” button. You can then elect to check or un-check the “Opt-in” box. If you elect to “Opt-in” all other registered members of the Site will be able to view your user profile and will be able to send you contact requests. If you do not check the “Opt-in” box other registered members will not be able to view your user profile or send you contact requests, in addition, you will not be able to post content on or through the Site. If you change your settings to opt-out by un-checking the “Opt-in” box, and you have already posted content on or through the Site, this content will continue to be associated with your user name and will be visible to other registered members of the Site unless you affirmatively delete the applicable content. In addition, if you post a status update on your member profile page, you can select whether the status update will be visible to all registered members of the Site or only to your contacts. Although you can adjust your profile settings so that other registered members of the Site cannot see your user profile, we recommend that you do not post any information on or through the Site that you do not want to make available to other users of the Site or the public generally. YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF PRIVACY OR OTHER HARM RESULTING FROM information you post on or through the Site.
5. Information You Share Through Social Media Services. If you post any comments, reviews, photos or other information on our Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest pages, we may display those comments, reviews, photos or information on the Site. In addition, your use of these social media services may result in the collection or sharing of information about you by these social media services. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media services with which you interact to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used, and shared by those social media services.
6. How We Use the Information We Collect. We use the information we gather through the Site to help us better understand how the Site is being used. By identifying patterns and trends in usage, we are able to better design the Site to improve your experiences, both in terms of content and ease of use. We may also use this information to contact and communicate with you, including to send you information about products or services we think might of interest to you and to respond to your communications and requests. We may display information you post or provide through our Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest pages on the Site and may use this information for our promotional purposes or on an aggregate basis to track trends and user opinions.
7. How We Share Your Information with Third Parties. We will not disclose your information to third parties unless we obtain your permission to do so at the time we collect it, except as set forth below:
7.2 Employees, Third-Party Processors and Third-Party Service Providers. We will disclose your information to our employees, contractors, affiliates, distributors, dealers, vendors and suppliers (“Service Providers”) who provide certain services to us or on our behalf, such as operating and supporting the Site, analyzing data, or performing marketing or consulting services. These Service Providers will only have access to the information needed to perform these limited functions on our behalf.
7.3 By Law or in Response to Subpoenas or Court Orders or to Protect Rights and to Comply with Our Policies. To the extent permitted by law, we will disclose your information to government authorities or third parties if: (a) required to do so by law, or in response to a subpoena or court order; (b) we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, to protect the property or other rights of us or other users, third parties or the public at large; or (c) we believe that you have abused the Site by using it to attack other systems or to gain unauthorized access to any other system, to engage in spamming or otherwise to violate applicable laws. You should be aware that, following disclosure to any third party, your information may be accessible by others to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
7.5 Marketing Communications. We will email you about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you wish to opt-out of receiving marketing materials from us, please follow the instructions contained in each email you receive from us describing how you can opt-out or receiving further marketing communications from us.
7.6 Aggregate Information. We may share information relating to users of the Site with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties on an anonymous, aggregate basis. While this information will not identify you personally, in some instances these third parties may be able to combine this aggregate information with other data they have about you, or that they receive from third parties, in a manner that allows them to identify you personally.
If you have any questions, please contact us at the following address:
Chief Privacy Officer
EU Safe Harbor
National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, Inc.
3030 Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
9.2 Choice. Users located in the EEA may direct us not to disclose their Personal Information to third parties (other than our Service Providers or as required by law). We do not use Personal Information for purposes incompatible with the purposes for which we originally collected the information without notifying the relevant individuals of such uses and offering an opportunity to opt-out.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, we may disclose Personal Information without offering individuals the opportunity to opt-out for the reasons described in more detail in Sections 7.1, 7.3 and 7.4 above.
9.4 Onward Transfer. We may share Personal Information with Service Providers we have retained to perform services on our behalf. We require Service Providers to whom we disclose Personal Information and who are not subject to laws based on the European Union Data Protection Directive to contractually agree to provide at least the same level of protection for Personal Information as is required by the relevant Safe Harbor principles.
9.5 Security. We maintain reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
9.6 Access. Upon request, we will grant individuals reasonable access to Personal Information that we hold about them for the purpose of correcting, amending, or deleting such Personal Information where it is inaccurate; provided, however, that we reserve the right to deny access or limit access in cases where the burden or cost of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to your privacy or in the case of a vexatious or fraudulent request. If you wish to access or amend your Personal Information, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer at the address provided in Section 9.1 (Notice) above. Any of our employees who wish to review or update their Personal Information can do so by contacting their human resources representative.
9.7 Enforcement. If we become aware that the security of the Site has been compromised or your Personal Information has been disclosed to unrelated third parties as a result of external activity, including but not limited to security attacks or fraud, we reserve the right to take reasonable appropriate measures, including but not limited to, investigation and reporting, and notification to and cooperation with law enforcement authorities.
We are also subject to the jurisdiction of the US Federal Trade Commission. The Federal Trade Commission may be contacted at the following address:
Federal Trade Commission
Attn: Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20580